Honour The Space You’re In
Beautiful colours, the smell of fresh Christmas trees, Carolers singing, the malls filled with people, the ceremonous get togethers with family and friends. Sounds like the most wonderful time of year, but is it really?
Bright lights that shines on our faces constricts ones vision; the smell of fireplaces are a reminder of what the crackling noises meant in our heads, the filled in rooms with people with hundreds of conversations going all at once; the room filled with love, yet constantly noticing ignorance. “Can anyone see me?”
A few examples of how one may look at the holiday season is not necessarily easy for another. The impact of what Anxiety, Depression and PTSI can greatly affect someone’s ability to see the beauty of a holiday season. So how do we manage ourselves or help the ones we love during the stressors of the holiday? Here are a few but effective suggestions:
- Acknowledging The Emotion We Are In
- Owning the Emotion We Are Feeling
- Grounding Ourselves with Affirmations of Safeness
- Scaling Out Our Fears, Frustration, Depression, Anxiety, with the ones with love
- Excusing ourselves from the situation without apologizing on How We Feel
- Recognizing that Pre-Triggers exist – Your Body is Telling You Something – even before your triggers rise up.
- Creating a “on the go” Coping Box when you are unable to remove yourself from the location you are at.
- Repeating To Yourself That “It’s Okay To Not Be Okay Right Now”
- Close Your Eyes, Open Your Arms, And Breathe – bringing back and grounding back to simplicity can be more effective than planning.